Spiritual awakening seems to be the “cool” thing to do these days. Boho has come back in style and are somehow tied with being more spiritual and closer to nature, and symbols of Hinduism and Buddhism are now the fashion trends. People are doing yoga to find themselves and yet have no idea what they are even looking for. It’s all crap. Spiritual awakening isn’t a fashion trend. It’s a change that you have that you can feel to your core. It’s something that starts inside of you and radiates outward. People notice it. It’s not the clothes you wear or symbols you choose to carry or tattoo on yourself. After an awakening, you glow. Because after all, you have a new light inside of you.
You can experience an awakening at any point in your life. They say that you are most likely to experience one right after a traumatic event. For me, I was born awake with one eye open. Born aware that I wasn’t like everyone else, but couldn’t put a finger on it. I viewed things differently and didn’t understand why everyone wanted all these materiel things, why people couldn’t get along. It wasn’t until I was older that all the pieces finally fell into place. For me, the process beginning to end was a long adventurous one.
The awakening process can be prolonged if you are feeling suppressed, whether it be a rough relationship with a family member, maybe a bad marriage or suppression by religion or cult. Feeling like you have no control of who you are and how you live will slow down the awakening process. Fear not. When you are finally able to escape the bondage of your life, you will grow like a lily in the muddy waters reaching for the sun. Once you have started the process, it will feel like a wave has hit you, but in a good way! You may experience times of sadness and depression and happiness and content. Know that during these times of sadness and depression, you have to look at your life and things that you may need to do differently.
- Start with positive thinking. Our thoughts are energy, and what we send out, we will get back. If you are experiencing negativity, replace every negative thought with a positive one. After a while, you will realize that you stop thinking negative a lot less, and start thinking positive a lot more.
- You may notice suppressed memories. These could be things that were traumatic that you need to work through. Learn to forgive yourself and others. It will help you move forward during your awakening.
- You may cry, a lot. Believe it or not, it doesn’t matter if you are a rough and tough man. You will break down and cry. Why? Because you are releasing negativity that you’ve been holding onto. In order to work through the process of releasing the past, you will experience high levels of emotions.
- Learn how to meditate. This is really important. Take at least 10 minutes a day in a quiet area and calm your mind. This will take a few tries to calm your mind, but it will happen. The misconception about meditation is that you do not think about anything. Not true, it’s okay to think, but try to clear your mind. Focus on your breathing. Focus on an image. Close your eyes. There are different ways to meditate. Find one that works for you.
- Once you are in a meditative state, imagine white light being poured over you like water. Imagine it washing away all the dirt that has built up over your body. See it washing away and leaving behind a glowing, bright you. This may be a mutli day process, but you will feel the cleanest that you have ever felt. More happy, and lighter.
There are many signs of a spiritual awakening. You can experience all or some. They can happen at different point in your awakening or a lot of them all at once. You can move at your own pace or quickly if you are willing to work on changing yourself for the better. It is a process, one that takes many steps, releasing a lot of negativity, and healing old wounds. And I promise you, once you start going through the process, you will feel so much better! You will feel like so much weight has been lifted off of you that you didn’t realize before that you were carrying around.
I’m going to give you a list of symptoms of a spiritual awakening. I also highly recommend that if something doesn’t feel right, or really off, that you seek professional medical attention, as there could be underlying issues that you were not aware of that you would need a medical professional.
- Feeling like you are running out of time. Maybe because you are! Just not in a bad way. You can get that nagging feeling like you are in a hurry, have to get something done. You just don’t remember what it is!
- Feeling like something is missing. You have everything that you could ever dream of. The perfect family, a beautiful home, a great job, but it still feels like something is missing. You can’t exactly put your finger on it, but you know it isn’t something that you can buy. But you know it’s out there, you just haven’t figured out where yet.
- Craving more meaning and purpose. You want to do something that makes your life more meaningful. After all, life isn’t just about working and dying right? This can definitely lead to the next symptom on our list.
- A desire to reconnect with yourself and learn who you truly are. You find yourself disconnected with your religion. With your sense of self. Your family. Spirituality isn’t just being connected to your beliefs, but a connection to you. Take a break, discover what is important to you. Write. Write your feelings, dreams and aspirations. Go out into nature and enjoy your own company. Or use the time to think. Relearn who YOU are. You’d be surprise how many things that you are doing for others and not for yourself that really don’t make you happy. It doesn’t mean that you should turn your back on all your responsibilities, but the best thing you can do for yourself is reconnect with you.
- Wanting more solitude or leaving old friends for new ones that you feel more comfortable around. When you start going through the process, you begin to raise your vibrations. What does this mean? Imagine all those things that you held onto that have held you back. Anger, resentment, hate. They create walls around you. When you start the awakening process, you start breaking down those walls, and all the things holding you back. Once you start tearing down these walls, you allow your soul to rise because you are no longer being held back. Going through the awakening process puts you at your natural soul vibration. Being at a lower vibration isn’t a bad thing. There are lots of lessons to be learned in the lower vibrations that will help you raise to a higher vibration. Going through these different vibrations though can make you feel like you’d rather be alone, or be around different people. Don’t worry though, those you left behind will quite possibly go through their own awakening and join you. This will be something you will continue to go through even after the awakening process as your soul continues to grow.
- But then there are the feelings of being alone and lost. It can be difficult when you realize that you are going through the awakening process. You see things differently than others and this can cause feelings of being alone. You may experience times of feeling lost. Not sure what direction to go and feel like you are on a raft floating on an ocean with nothing in site. These feelings are normal, and can mean that you are “leveling up”. Your soul is growing and these can be times of transition for your soul. You are preparing to go to the next phase in the process.
- Seeing society as a fraud. Fake news, fake people, fake everything
- Experiencing more synchronicity. Need a job and having a hard time looking for one, but someone who know just happens to know a place that is hiring, and you get the job! It’s not a coincidence. Nothing is every coincidence. It’s synchronicity. When you ask, the universe delivers.
- You start to question everything you were taught.
- Feelings of deeper empathy, compassion, forgiveness and understanding of others.
- You begin to worry less and lose interest in conflict with others. You experience more joy and feeling of carefree. You will also experience more love towards others and give without expectation.
- You will feel and realize that everything is connected through energy.
- Feeling an awareness and needing to change old negative habits. You may wake up one day and no longer want to smoke or drink. You might realize that you no longer need to hold onto self-destructive habits, whatever they might be.
- Wanting to make the world a better place. Who doesn’t? There are different ways depending on what path your soul takes to assist in making the world a better place to live. You could teach others how to grow spiritually, help others who are less fortunate, go out and clean the environment. The options are endless!
- Hypersensitivity! As if seeing, hearing, touching, tasting, and smelling weren’t bad enough. Now you have to deal with feelings of intuition, high emotions, hearing and seeing things that no one else does. You feel like you are going crazy, but you’re not. If you get worried by your hypersensitive senses, see a medical professional. But don’t give up! It’s just part of the process.
- A big boost of creativity or inspiration
- Change in sleep patterns. Always feeling tired and spending more time asleep. Large burst of energy with little sleep. Occasional normal sleep patterns. Never mind the vivid dreams! Whew! That’s a lot to deal with. It’s hard enough trying to find time to sleep between work, family, and a social life or school. If you believe that you are continuously suffering from insomnia, get some help. Whether you use essential oils, herbs, hormones or medication, you still need your rest to be able to function.
- You may have to make changes to your diet. Something that you may have been able to eat yesterday, may not agree with you today. It’s because your body is changing and rejecting process foods and products that are not good for your body.
- You may also start noticing more things such as figures out of the corner of your eye, energy radiating off of people and things, and feeling other people’s energy.
- Pain in-between the eyes similar to a headache. This is your third eye opening up. These headaches can last for a few days, so be sure to get enough rest and try to stay away from bright lights if possible as it can irritate your headaches more. Once you learn how to use your third eye, you will no longer feel the extreme pressure.
- Feelings of no longer being alone. You sense someone there, but when you look, there isn’t. This could be a spirit or angel.
There are more symptoms but these are the ones most often experienced. Have a pleasant journey!